Tuesday, August 23, 2005
I've been working on a group project and doing some sun printing to make fabric. With some leftover Setacolor paints I painted a piece of lightweigh silk habatoi and put some leaves and other stuff on it. There's a real trick to getting the paint on the fabric and then getting the leaves placed before the sun dries the fabric, especially something as lightweight as silk. It's fun and the results are usually wonderful.
The piece is actually a little lighter in color than this image shows. I took the picture in natural light without a flash. Those vertical lines are the result of air bubbles between the fabric and what it was laid on, a piece of melamine. I'll have to figure out something else for the substrate, but you have to be careful because the texture will become part of the sunprint. I had used an old cutting board that was white and had darker inch markings on it and the inch markings showed up on the fabric. Worked well with what I was doing but it's not something I would like to have on everything.