Thursday, November 15, 2007

Materials Hard and Soft

Welcome news - another acceptance. This time the letter came from Materials Hard and Soft held at the Greater Denton Arts Council, Denton, Texas. It was a rather thick letter and I thought at first it was a rejection because they were sending my slides back. Then I remembered I sent them a CD, not slides. The letter was thick because it contained a contract for the show. This was the fourth time I've entered this show and I'm excited to finally have been juried in. I've heard that it's an excellent show and rather difficult to get in (at least it has been for me). The juror was Georgia Gough and while I am not familiar with her or her work, she has an excellent resume. Also, she is the founder of the Materials Hard and Soft exhibition. Obviously, she cares about this show.

She selected Yellow Brick Road which, now that I think of it, has a name that fits right into the show theme.



Yellow Brick Road 53"L x 50"
©2007 Catherine Kleeman


Out of the seven shows I entered in August and September, the results are 4 acceptances, 2 rejections, and 1 still waiting to hear. This is a better percentage than I had expected, figuring only a 50% rate. My philosophy is that if you get into everything you enter, you're not aiming high enough.