Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Quilting Arts Magazine

I'm very excited. This month's issue of Quilting Arts Magazine not only has a picture of one of my quilts on the cover, I am also the Featured Artist. Quite an honor and it's wonderful to see my work in print.




Last weekend I spent 2 days with friends at our semi-annual fiber retreat. The location is in the mountains of Pennsylvania (although it's not really very mountainous, just very pretty). This weekend was devoted mainly to surface design. We brought t-shirts to decorate, we used rubber fish to make fish prints, I made a gelatin plate to show everybody how to make prints, several used Sunlight dish detergent to discharge, and of course some stamping. And some stitching went on also. What made this weekend so wonderful is that we all had 2 large tables of our own and there was still plenty of space in the room to walk around. At our previous retreat weekend, we were limited to 1 small table each and you had to turn sideways to negotiate the aisles. So this new spot is heaven. Can't wait until the next one in March! I forgot my camera so I don't have any pictures to share.

15 comments:

prairiemoonquilts said...

Congratulations! I'm not really an art quilter to the core, but that is a great magazine that I still like to read! (I get ideas for my Crazy Quilt from it!)

SewCalGal said...

Congratulations. Really nice issue too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Cheryl said...

Cathy! OMG! That's WONDERFUL! Many congrats, and I'll have to get you to sign my copy at the next BHQG meeting.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Congrats on your feature! I enjoyed reading it and I really enjoy your art.

Sue Reno said...

Congratulations on the well deserved coverage.

Grace said...

Kathy how wonderful! I've been a fan of your work for a long time and was nicely surprised today when I turned the page in QA mag and saw the feature article about YOU.

Congratulations!!!!

PAMO said...

I started following your blog after reading your article in Quilting Arts! Your work is so inspiring and I've enjoyed looking at your website too. Thanks for all the great, great ART!!
Pam

Cathy Kleeman said...

Thanks, everybody, for all the wonderful compliments. They're inspiring me to achieve new heights!

PAMELA said...

Cathy, I am a novice art-quilter from Sydney, Australia. Seeing your stunning work in Quilting Arts magazine, I did what I usually dont do - I looked you up on the web! Thank goodness I did, because I now I am even more excited by seeing your work and reading about your reflections.
Thank you for sharing your passion. Congratulations on your achievements.
Pamela (www.craftyquilting.wordpress.com)

Cathy Kleeman said...

I really do appreciate everybody's kind words. I love knowing that I have "fans"! Inspires me to keep on doing the work.

Tracey said...

Congratulations! I look forward to reading your article when my copy arrives.

Kris said...

Hi! My Quilting Arts just arrived (Australia is far!) and I loved your article. It really struck a chord with me. Thanks for sharing your work, I am bookmarking so I can come back here!

Jeanne Marklin said...

The cover looks great. I am not getting the magazine right now - in Ireland for 3 months - but I'll catch up on the article later. Glad to see your work getting the attention it deserves!

Jeanne Aird said...

Congratulations. Great quilt. After reading your blog I went to the grocery store to buy some Sunlight detergent and couldn't find any with bleach, which I thought would be what you would need to discharge dye. Could you please tell me more specifically which detergent you use? Thank you.

Cathy Kleeman said...

Jeanne - sorry to be so long in responding. I didn't actually use the Sunlight myself. My friend was using the Sunlight dishwasher detergent. It's a slightly thick liquid. Bleach is an ingredient. It comes in a yellow bottle. Then she added some extra bleach because it was working very slowly. You have to get some stuff to stop the bleaching action, otherwise you will eventually get holes in the fabric. Dharma Trading and Prochemical both sell stuff to stop the bleach, or you can get stuff from the pet store that would be used in aquariums. Vinegar is not sufficient.