Sunday, August 02, 2009

Chemistry Exercise Part 2

As promised, the second part of the dyeing exercise, using what Elin Noble calls "Jewel Tones". I used Fuchsia, Turquoise, and Sun Yellow (ProChem 108). The greens, oranges, and purples produced were clear and bright. These used only 2 dyes in combination. When using all three dyes, the results were less bright and moved into browns, some nice and some less so.



As I examined the results of the combinations of all three colors, I wondered how Elin came up the proportions of yellow, blue, and red that she chose. It certainly wasn't an arithmetic progress, like 10%, 20%, 30%, etc. And it didn't seem to be geometric, like 1/2, 1/4, 1/8. I'm certain that it has much to do with the relative strengths of the dyes and that the numbers she came up reflect that. I'm just curious.

Part 3 of the exercise combines the earth tones and the jewel tones to see how they differ from the straight combinations done so far. I could really get carried away here but I'm going to just be content with what I have. And maybe someday I will take Carol Soderland's class.

2 comments:

Linda said...

Hi Cathy,
You would probably enjoy Carol Soderland's class. She is an amazing teacher of dyeing experiments. It's this kind of stuff times 100. It was hard to believe what got accomplished in 5 days.

The more primary combinations you work with, the more sensitive your eye becomes to the subtle changes in color ranges. I'm also working on dyeing my own family of colors right now based on 3 primaries.

Leah/ Texas/ United States said...

oh wow how pretty!!!!!!!!!!!