Wednesday, February 15, 2006

This 'n that

I downloaded this blog editing program for Performancing that was mentioned on someone's blog. I'd like to credit her but now I can't refind that blog. Performancing is an extension for the Firefox browser that lets you edit your blog from within Firefox, then upload the whole thing. This is my trial run. I'm typing, I'm typing. Haven't tried the upload yet. If you're reading this then I must have succeeded.

The snow is melting. The snow plow did our street Sunday evening, but by that time the street was already passable. People further along towards the end had hired contractors to plow their driveways and the contractors had to plow their way in, which left a narrow lane open. So we could get out, and more importantly, the kids and grandkids could get in for our Sunday dinner. We had a sirloin tip roast with mashed potatoes and gravy, vegetables, and Martha's chocolate pecan pie. This pie has a bazillion calories per slice, most of which come from fat. But it didn't deter those who ate it: three people ate half the pie. Then we moved up to the living room to sit in front of the fire and watch the sugar-hyped grandkids run around.

My quilt arrived in Tubac on Monday. I'm hoping its late arrival didn't disrupt the hanging process too much.

Got an acceptance to the Considering Quilts show in New Smyrna Beach, Florida. The piece I'm sending is Ventanas III:


Ventanas is Spanish for windows; this piece is based on an image of a window frame reflected in another window frame. I took the picture while visiting Santa Fe several years ago.

Last night I was the guest speaker at my own local guild Baltimore Heritage Quilters Guild. My talk was about my journey from a beginning traditional quilter to an art quilter. I joined that guild in 1987 (I think that was the year) and at that time had one quilt under my belt: a Quilt-In-A-Day Log Cabin made with little calico prints in Williamsburg blue and off-white, with a dusty rose center square. No picture exists, sorry. I think it was enjoyable for the members, at least they laughed at my jokes. Alot of the members are only familiar with my current work and I think it was a revelation to know that I started out where everybody else starts out. When I first joined the guild, I was under the impression that the President got that position by being the best quilter in the guild. Now I know better: the President is the one who doesn't say No fast enough. Just joking. :)