Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Working

It's much more like Spring than it is Winter these days. I can hear birds singing and see flocks of robins scrounging around in the grass. My daffodils are up about 6 inches (but not yet blooming), the snowdrops are almost finished, and here and there crocus peek through the groundcover. Hooray! In another few weeks I will hang my hummingbird feeder and keep an eye out for the first hummer to show up.


It's cloudy today so the crocus haven't opened up.



The time switch to daylight savings time messes up my inner clock for a few days. I find I'm starting dinner later than usual because it's still too bright out. I guess our bodies are more attuned to the quality of light than we think they are.

And I've been stitching away on my current work. I don't keep track of the amount of time I spend in the studio (although I should if only just to prove to the IRS that yes, this is a job and not just a hobby) but I can estimate based on how many audio books I have listened to while doing this. So far it's 3, with a total of 30 hours, and I'm not finished yet. I have to listen to something while I stitching otherwise it's just too boring.

A few quick shots of the grid quilting. So far I've used only lightweight rayon and cotton threads for this piece. Previously I've used heavy and midweights also, but this piece seems too delicate. The heavy quilting makes the areas that aren't quilted puff up and I'm trying to decide how much I like that. I may add some hand done seed stitching there to reduce the puff. I'll need to watch a movie to do that.