Saturday, December 10, 2005

Workout

Yesterday we woke up to several inches of heavy, wet snow, the kind that brings branches crashing down. The kind that needs to be shoveled off the driveway before it can freeze because my driveway is a hill. Not real long, but definitely up.

Unfortunately, yesterday was also moving day at my husband's office and I had volunteered to help (what was I thinking?). My job ended up being moving patient files (there had to be at least a million) off the shelves and into boxes and then moving the boxes. I estimate that I loaded and moved 75 boxes, each weighing about 25 pounds (although they seemed to get heavier as the day went on). Good thing I do those workouts at the gym.

Anyhow, I come home, it's after dark, and the temperature has dropped. I park the car at the top of the driveway where the hill is steepest, go down to the street to get the mail, and as I'm coming back up the driveway, the car begins to slide down. This could be a really bad situation, I tell myself. But it stops sliding after about a foot. Got back in and moved it down to a flatter spot. No more sliding.

But because I didn't shovel yesterday and we drove up and down on the slushy snow, there are now tracks of ice 2" thick with frozen snow on either side. So I've pretty much spent today shoveling and spreading salt and I'm down to bare pavement except for where the ice was the thickest. Maybe the sun will take care of that.

Now, before you ask why my husband isn't out there shoveling, he does have the legitimate excuse of having had surgery 3 weeks ago and isn't allowed to pick up heavy things yet. So between yesterday's and today's efforts, he owes me big time. :)