Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Dilemma

Aside - I thought 'dilemma' was derived from Latin and that perhaps the plural would be dilemmae, plural feminine (I took Latin in High School, many decades ago). But in looking it up, I found that it originally derives from Greek di meaning two and lemma meaning proposition. And the first definition is "a situation requiring a choice between equally undesirable alternatives". That's not exactly what I am using the word to mean, so went on to the second definition "any difficult or perplexing situation or problem." That's the one.

So if you're still reading...my dilemma is that there are some wonderful exhibition opportunities in the near future and all with entry deadlines in the next two weeks. The problem is that I don't want to enter old work because, well, because. But all my new work is either committed to another show that will overlap the time period, or entered into a show and I haven't yet heard back about the jurying. Which makes them unavailable until they are either accepted or rejected. So I will be passing on this current crop.

I did recently send in an entry to be considered for a solo show in Frederick, MD. They're looking for exhibits for 2 years in the future, which is a good time frame. I have a solo show coming up in October of this year and so one in 2009 or 2010 would be excellent. Their committee only meets 3 or 4 times a year, so I have no idea when I will hear back.

And in September is the entry for Quilt National 2009 and I plan to enter that one. Except this time I won't wait until August to make entries. That hasn't worked in the past, obviously. A good strategy would be to make lots of work between now and then and then select the best pieces and I would hope I have a good selection from which to pick. Entry forms aren't available until next month, according to their web site.

I will be going to the SDA/SAQA Joint Conference in early April, taking Judy Langille's workshop, looking forward to that big time. And then the day after I return I'm going to Chicago to visit family which will also give me the opportunity to spend a day at the IQF show. I went to that show the first time it was in Chicago but haven't been since. I've also been to the Houston version, only once, and was overwhelmed by the opportunities to spend money. And the quilts were nice, also. I plan to be at the Chicago show on Friday the 11th and will spend several hours in the SAQA booth. Stop by if you're there!