Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I Voted

Today is the 'Potomac Primary' - Maryland, Virginia, and D.C. This is the first time since I've lived in Maryland that the Presidential primary hasn't been a done deal by the time we get to vote. And we even got visits from all the candidates, something that doesn't even happen during the Presidential election. Maryland is so Democratic that everybody sees it as a given. Democratic candidates spend their time in states where they have to fight and Republican candidates see us as a lost cause. So it's actually exciting to have a primary that has some suspense. I wonder if the turnout will reflect that or will there be the usual apathy. So far the turnout has been 'slow but steady' and I imagine the sleet isn't helping any. The prediction is that 39% of the voters will turn out. I don't understand why people don't bother to cast their ballots; they're sure ready to complain when they don't like what happens. My feeling is that you have no right to complain if you don't vote.