Saturday, June 21, 2008

QSDS Report 3

In between doing bigger stuff I've done more little pieces. Here's another one.

Another larger piece that since this picture was taken has gotten torn paper screens and splatter paint on it. And I think I rotated this image when I shouldn't have because it's really horizontal. Oh well.

This is something from earlier in the week. I quilted it first then added the gold paint and the dark outline using thermofax screens. It still looked unfinished so yesterday I added the lavender window screen (good pun...). Interesting. I was trying to get the paint to stay just on the upraised parts of the quilted areas but I pressed too hard and it went down into the stitched areas. Live and learn.
I forgot to take a picture of the other large-ish piece That's been painted and has the windows on it; will have to do that today.

Last night was the Banquet where we all gather for dinner and silliness. It was lots of fun to hear about what went on in the other classes. Before the banquet was the Walk-around where everybody puts their work up and people can walk around and see what's been going on. I sort of missed that because I was showing someone in my class how to screen print and how to throw paint. She had never done either before and wanted to try it with a piece she was working on that she wasn't liking very much. Looks excellent now, if I do say so myself. I am eager to see how she finishes it.

My plan for today is to quilt a small piece then do a monoprint over the quilting. The new group for the weekend class has arrived and so new stuff will be going on in the other rooms, including Carol Soderlund's Dye the Bible class. (It's not really called that, but that's what they get - a reference book for dye recipes.)

Thursday night we went to the opening of Material Matters at the Columbus Museum of Art. This show was curated/juried by Linda Fowler and Tracy Reiger and I can't think of enough superlative adjectives to describe it. There were more than 1000 people at the opening, many of whom had never seen fiber like this. It was a big eye opener for them, I'm sure. There is a catalog of the show which doesn't do it justice but is a very nice record to have. All I can say is I wish I had been in this show.

Also last night was the Silent/Live Auction of the mini-quilts. All week people could bid on the little quilts that are auctioned for the Scholarship Fund, then on Friday night the live auction begins. Sort of a weird way to do it, but since it raises more money I guess that's why they do it that way. Thank you, Teri, for purchasing my little piece for a considerable amount of money!