Monday, June 27, 2005

Cleaned out and rearranged


From the entrance

After arriving home from QSDS I was so frustrated with the state of my studio I had to do a thorough cleaning and rearranging. I had only a small area in which to do fabric painting and it kept attracting stuff so that the actual area in which to work kept diminishing. What I really wanted was a space 4x8 that I could walk around and getting that was going to require a lot of furniture moving and organization.

And so here it is, after trips to the dump, GoodWill, Home Depot, and JoAnn's. A lot of stuff has been moved to a closet, out of sight. This is the view as I come down the stairs (my studio is in the basement; the door on the far wall goes to a never used stairwell).


Design wall

And I also wanted a larger area for a design wall and here it is! More than 8 feet wide, wider than I will probably every need.


Looking back

From the other side of the room, looking back towards the stairwell. You can see the door to the closet (on the right) and a very tidy bookcase.


Sewing table

Here is the sewing table, with my thread drawers within easy reach. There was a constraint on the arrangement of the furniture: the water valve cut-off is in the wall just off to the left of my sewing table. It has to be easily accessible for those water emergency events so I couldn't put the table right up against the wall. There's about 12", but it becomes a place to put a few things.


Another bookcase

The view to the right of the closet door, showing another very tidy bookcase and my ironing surface.


Fabric boxes

And underneath the work tables are boxes of fabric. And as you can see, there is still room for more boxes! Now all I have to do is get to work. I almost hate messing up this nice, orderly space.